A World Without Moms
Mother's Day is just around the corner! I knew I wanted to dedicate this blog post to all of the wonderful mom's out there, but also wanted to capture the essence of ABC Head Start. Here at ABC Head Start we pride ourselves in being an agency who solicits feedback. We like to find ways to involve staff, volunteers, parents, partners and other stakeholders in decision-making. We value all of these opinions in making ABC Head Start the amazing program it is!
Recently, as in tonight because I am terrible with deadlines, in the true spirit of ABC Head Start I decided to poll my friends and family. I did this via text message, because lets face it, the deadline was looming...
Here is the text I sent to a handful of friends and family members: What would the world be like without moms? (keep it somewhat clean this is for my blog for work, can be funny, touching, etc...)
Here are the responses I received:
1) This response was from a friend who is a mother of two little ones - "Wild and messy. No one to make rules and clean up after everyone."
2) This one came from a friend who you can tell loves her mom very much, she has a very close relationship with her mother - "The world would be chaos. At least moms keep the chaos organized. Once you get past your "I'm 16, I know it all" stage they are the most knowledgable people around. They watch your back but still give you enough rope to get tied up in a given situation so you learn from your own doing. They will still love you until the end of time. Hold you when needed and will always cherish you."
3) Another friend's realistic view - "I can't even imagine a world without moms to be honest....that would be absolutely horrible!"
4) This is how my from my 5-year-old nephew responded - "Dad, me and my brother would be poor."
5) The next text came from a friend who is a mother of two AND runs a dayhome. Clearly she is exhausted as this was her response - "can't wait to read it, send the link.....please." (Yes that's right, she didn't answer the question ;))
6) The only male response - "Huh, no moms? Well we sure as $%&* wouldn't be here would we!!" (Typical right?? AND didn't keep it clean...sorry men it had to be said.)
7) Response from my Mom - "There would be no more coming home to fresh-baked buns or cookies, or getting you up in time for school. There would be no one to come to all of your functions, sitting through all of them and never complaining! No one to make sure all your immunizations are done, even making special arrangements to get them after school hours!" :) - Wait a second Mom, this sounds like you might be describing yourself?? My Mom is right, she did all of these things and more for me and my siblings. And really my Mom should get extra 'Mom Points' for the agony I put her through when it came to immunizations - sorry Mom.
Suffice to say, it would be an interesting world without Mom's. I'm sure we can all agree it would be disorderly, chaotic and there'd be a lot less love. So for this reason, and many many more, we acknowledge our Mother's this weekend. Thank you for all that you do. The hardest job in the world, but the most rewarding. Happy Mother's Day.