COVID 19 PROTOCOL FOR FAMILIES
As an agency ABC Head Start Society is dedicated to the heath and safety of our staff, families and communities. We are committed to taking all reasonable precautions to protect against risk factors associated with the transmission of COVID-19. According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, the risk of COVID 19 varies depending on several factors including international travel. Effective immediately all ABC Head Start staff, children or families who travel outside of Canada will be subject to a quarantine period of two weeks until further notice IF THEY HAVE SYMPTOMS. During this quarantine period, staff, children and families will not be permitted to attend any ABC Head Start site. Families in quarantine will also be unable to access the home education program although we encourage the use of electronic communication (FACETIME, Skype, email, phone) by our home educators & other staff as methods of support. In addition to the quarantine protocol, ABC Head Start recommends staff, children and families take the following measures to reduce their risk of contracting COVID-19:
• Increased cleaning and disinfecting of high-touch surfaces and objects like door handles, toys and tables.
• Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing; going to the bathroom; and before eating or preparing food. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. When washing ensure that you wash your fingernails and tips and wipe with a paper towel.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Individuals who are sick should stay home and restrict activities in public spaces.
• Avoid sharing personal or household items.
Anyone who is quarantined MUST contact Alberta Health Services and follow their direction regarding testing. These individuals or families will be provided documentation from AHS at each stage of their quarantine (e.g. beginning to explain that they are off work because of suspected exposure or while awaiting testing results or a letter to clear them to return to program.) If you have any questions, please be in contact with staff at your program site.